For generations, people have trusted topical acne treatments to ward off blemishes. Tazarotene is one such topical treatment which is generally used to cure skin problems like acne. Tazarotene is a derivative of vitamin A and encourages rapid growth and regeneration of skin cells. This prescription topical medication also helps in improving the texture and smooths the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in the skin.
How to use Tazarotene?
As Tazarotene is a topical acne medication, it should be applied to the affected area with clean hands. You must also thoroughly cleanse your face with a mild cleanser before applying the Tazarotene acne treatment medication. There should not be any residue of makeup or moisturizer left on your face. Pat your face dry and apply the medicine.
After your face is clean and dry, carefully apply a thin layer of Tazarotene on the affected areas. Remember to not apply the acne topical medication on areas that do not need medication. If the acne treatment medication by mistake gets on the prohibited areas then wash it off immediately.
Tazarotene acne topical treatment should always be applied as instructed by the dermatologist. Don’t get tempted to use more or less of the medication, as it would sabotage the acne treatment process. Always remember to apply the medication just before going to bed at night.
When you are using Tazarotene acne topical treatment, then you must remember to not use any other medication simultaneously which may interact with it. If you have been using the following acne treatment medications, then it is recommended that you consult a doctor before using Tazarotene acne topical treatment:
- Thiazide diuretic like hydrochlorothiazide and chlorothiazide
- Tetracycline antibiotic like tetracycline, minocycline, and doxycycline
- Fluoroquinolone antibiotic like lomefloxacin
- Sulfonamide antibiotic like sulfamethoxazole
Things to remember while using Tazarotene acne topical treatment:
Here are some important things that you must keep in mind while using Tazarotene as an acne topical treatment. To avoid side effects and considerably increase the effectiveness of the medication:
- You must not apply Tazarotene near areas like mouth, eyes, ears, nostrils, or mucous membranes.
- Remember to never use this acne treatment medication on dry, chapped, or sunburned skin.
- Tazarotene should not be applied on wounds.
- People who suffer from skin problems such as eczema should abstain from using Tazarotene for acne treatment.
- Excessive use of this medication should be strictly avoided. This could cause increased redness or peeling of the skin.
- Never use Tazarotene beyond its date of expiry.
- When you are on Tazarotene acne topical treatment, remember to refrain from high concentrations of alcohol, spices, and astringents.